Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mom's BBQ Sauce

This is one of my all time favorite comfort foods.  It's a little sweet n soury for a BBQ sauce, but I love it!  It's easy enough that when I was expecting Rialyn, Cam made it like twice a week for a long time.  I got a little burned out on it, but my love is rekindled.  It's easy to make a big batch and keep it for multiple meals, and with a little cornstarch and cold water added to just the sauce, it'll thicken nicely.

Combine:
1 c ketchup
1 c sugar-we like brown these days, but the recipe says white
1/2 c onion-we usually do about 1/2 an onion, so a little less
1 tsp prepared mustard
6 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 c apple cider vinegar-white works in a pinch but does change the taste a little
 
That's it!  Treat it like any BBQ sauce.  We prefer to cook chicken in it-often in the crockpot-and then thicken a little additional sauce.  Then we serve it with rice.  I like it over my rice, my family likes it on the side so they can eat their rice like cold cereal, with milk and sugar.

We like it with cornbread and honey butter too.  Here is the recipe we usually use for that.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmothers-buttermilk-cornbread/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=grandma%27s%20buttermilk%20cornbread&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Only thing we do different is use whey with a scoop of greek yogurt when we have it to replace the buttermilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment